34 year old dude from Norway, loves hanggliding and all that is fun :-) Can be reached on phone +47 928 62 877, but I prefere writen messages, so please write email (estrandl@online.no).

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Antarctica - The white wonderland !

Antartica is an amazing plaze! It's the world's coldest, windiest and driest place, but still it's full of life and a endless beauty.

If you think about flying here, think again! Antarctica has kabatics winds which can start blowing in seconds and the strongest windgust down here has been measured to about 270 km/h. And if you will land on dry land, remember every bit of land which is not covered with snow, is inhabited by thousands of animals or birds. Landing on snow and ice is possible, but risky!

On the first picture I do a tandemflight with one of the "local penguines" :-)

I have been lucky to go sea kayaking in Antarctica and I had some amazing moments on the water, between gigantic icebergs, glaciers and massive mountains. As you can see on the picture, a drysuite is highly needed, since you will not survive more than a couple of minutes without it in the water. On this trip with a Russian expedition ship, there was a photographer (http://www.jimmynelson.com) taking pictures for a Dutch magazine, so in February I might end up being in a magazine.

On the boat we had a foto competition, and guess who was the lucky winner of the best picture! Below you see my winning picture! It is 2 Adelie penguines swimming and jumping. And as you can see, nice water down there!

Of other things I did down there was swimming, and yes it was cold. Taking tons of pictures (upload more later) Walking on the Antartic continent made me a member of the 7 continent club.

PS If you have not guessed it yet, I did not fly down in Antarctica, it is an arranged picture and I am hanging of a cargo crane and the bar is a kayak padle. Nice picture :-) Anyway, I am probably the first man ever in a hangglider harness in Antarctica, and the Russian captain was wondering what the hell this crazy Norwegian man was doing in his cargo crane in a hanglider harness ! I upload more pictures later, now I have to prepare for a 19 hours buss drive! I am slowly going towards Buenos Aires, where I am going to fly for 7 days or so.